- Waisman Computing Services -
Services and Tools
- All Waisman PCs are being updated with
Adobe Reader XI version 11.0.3 tonight. 6/8/2013
- Major outage of campus systems June 1,
6AM-8PM. Services include, Learn@UW, JIRA, ISIS, SFS, WISDM,
Wisclist, WiscWeb and more. For details see the
- A new version of Adobe Flash Player
version 11.7 is being rolled out to Waisman PCs tonight. You can test
the new version here.
- Thinking of using DropBox? Aside
from surrendering ownership of the files you place there, you may need
to be concerned about the security of all the computers that connect
to your file sharing areas. If your colleagues are using infected
machines, your machine (and our network) may be infected too. Read about
- Oracle has released security updates to the
Java Runtime Environment which we are rolling it out tonight.
The current versions are JRE6, update 45 and JRE7 update 21. Waisman
Computing Services is still using JRE6 until UW-Madison Campus
applications are updated to work with JRE7. If you have home or
personal machines, please see the note about self-service updates
- Here is a handy
JAVA TESTER 1/15/2013
- Self-service updates for remote or personally owned machines.
Since the recent Java Zero-Day exploit, Waisman Computing Services
staff have worked hard to protect all the machines used by Waisman
personnel. This includes machines outside of the Waisman Center--ones
you have at home, and others you carry from place to place. Please see
for instructions on how to keep your own computers up-to-date. 9/18/2012
- An extension called OpenAttachmentByExtension
has been added to Thunderbird on all Waisman PCs. This add-on is
a work-around for folks who get attachments from colleagues that use
Outlook to send Microsoft Office documents. Outlook uses the wrong
format when assembling the message and this add-on will cause that
formatting to be ignored, opening the attachment by the filename
- Campus Policy on Cloud Services including Dropbox
We have been getting requests for installation of Dropbox on our
Waisman PC's. Please read the UW policy for all risks associated
with cloud services. 8/06/2012
- Firefox v. 14.0.1 and an update to v. 11.3 of the Adobe
Flash Player plugin are both being rolled out to Waisman PCs today.
- A new Webmail application called Atmail
is now available but only for those that have moved
to the 'new' mailserver. It's intended to replace Soymail. To request moving to the
'new' mailserver (which handles large maiboxes with ease), please email
Move me to the new mailserver.
Eventually, everyone will be moved but we're encouraging anyone to volunteer, particularly if you have a large mailbox
or just want to try out Atmail.
- Keep your NetID safe! Read the story...
- Macintosh clients running Office 2008 or 2011 cannot open Excel files saved in "Excel 97-2004 Workbook (.xls) format"
from network drives as of 1/29/12. You can copy these files to a local drive or your desktop and then save them
in Excel native format (.xlsx) on network drives without issues. This has been submitted to HP for a solution.
- Campus Video conferening available at WID and Education building. These systems
use Cisco TelePresence and are available to anyone on campus at no charge. Contact
David Devereaux-Weber, firstname.lastname@example.org for scheduling.
- Now offered through My UW-Madison, Lynda.com provides free access to almost 1,200 self-paced online courses and more than
50,000 individual tutorials. Learning at your own pace, you can get basic or specialized instruction on a wide array of software
and technology skills. Find out how some at UW-Madison are making the most of this
- DoIT to rollout new web conferencing tool to setup virtual classrooms and meeting spaces.
for more info: Blackboard Collaborate rollout 3/11/2011
- DoIT is pleased to announce the availability of a complimentary annual site license for PyMOL v.1.3. PyMOL is a powerful and
comprehensive molecular visualization product for rendering and animating 3D molecular structures.
PyMOL is available as a free annual license from the DoIT Tech Store:
Follow the instructions to enter your NetID and to select your desired software download. 2/3/2011
- We will no longer return (bounce) messages where the sender's mail server has been blacklisted
for excessive spam. Instead they will appear in your discard area with a spam score of
100 as will all messages with scores of more than 50 If the sender is on your
allowlist the message will be delivered directly to your inbox.
- Would you like to track the progress of your HELP requests for Waisman Computing Services?
RT Ticket Monitor Request
- New computing rates now include software installation
and hardware service plans for computers and HP printers.
New WCS rates highlights
- DoIT offers no cost Video/Audio/Image/Document Conversion Service
Digital Media Center (DMC)
- Secure Your WI-FI While Traveling
Protection for the Frequent Flyer
- Wirelessly synch your iPhone with WiscCal
- Who's who on the Internet? Be sure with a digital ID and a Personal
Set Up Your Digital Identity for FREE!
© 2013 Waisman Computing Services
| Contact us
| June 09, 2013