Laws, Rights & Other Legal Issues
General Topics / Issues
- ADA - The Americans with Disabilities Act
Gives civil rights protections to individuals with
disabilities similar to those provided to individuals on the basis of race,
color, sex, national origin, age, and religion.
- Air Carrier Access Act
Prohibits discrimination in air transportation.
- The Architectural Barriers Act (ABA)
Requires access to facilities designed, built, altered, or leased with Federal
- Civil Rights of Institutionalized Persons Act
Ensures that the rights of persons in institutions are protected.
- COBRA - Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act in 1986
opportunity to continue temporarily their
group health care coverage under certain circumstances.
Disabilities Assistance and Bill of Rights Act
Ensure that individuals with
developmental disabilities and their families have access to services and
- IDEA - Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
Guarantees right to a free, appropriate, public education for students with
- FERPA - Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
Protects the privacy of student education records
- Fair Housing Act
Defines discrimination in
housing against persons with disabilities
- FMLA - Family & Medical Leave Act
Requires covered employers
to provide up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave
- HIPAA - Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996
Protects health insurance coverage for workers and their families when they
change or lose their job
Joint State/Federal health care program for people with disabilities and others.
- Mental Health Parity Act
Aims to ensure that mental health benefits offered by group health plans are on
par with medical and surgical benefits.
- National Voter Registration Act
Agencies that provide services to people with disabilities also must offer voter
- Rehabilitation Act - Section 504
Nondiscrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial
- Rehabilitation Act - Section 508
Requires Federal agencies to make their electronic information accessible to
people with disabilities.
- Social Security Disability Services
Provides income benefits to individuals with disabilities meeting certain
- Technology Related Assistance for Individuals with Disabilities Act
Provides grants to states for assistive technology programs for individuals who
- Telecommunications Act of 1996
Requires telecommunications products and services to be
accessible to people with disabilities.
- Voting Accessibility for the Elderly and Handicapped Act
Requires accessibility at registration facilities and polling places for Federal
- Workforce Investment Act
Establishes a national workforce preparation and employment system that must
serve customers with disabilities.