Furlough Group 3 Includes:
- Academic Staff Exempt
- Limited Exempt
- University Staff Exempt
- Trades/Crafts Workers (Annual)
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the resulting budget deficit facing the University, the Chancellor has required all University of Wisconsin-Madison faculty and staff to participate in a graduated, progressive program of unpaid furlough days between January 1, 2021 and June 30, 2021.
Employees are required to take between 3 and 6 unpaid furlough days. The number of furlough days is based on salary and is prorated by appointment percentage and for those beginning or ending employment during the furlough period. The unpaid furlough days will result in a temporary reduction of employee’s gross earnings for the pay periods between January 1, 2021 and June 30, 2021.
Your pay will be reduced during the pay period your furlough day(s) are taken.
Furlough Entry and Approval Processing Schedule:
|Pay Period||Pay Period Dates||Entry Deadline||Pay Date|
|January||1/1/2021 – 1/31/2021||1/25/2021||2/1/2021|
|February||2/1/2021 – 2/28/2021||2/19/2021||3/1/2021|
|March||3/1/2021 – 3/31/2021||3/23/2021||4/1/2021|
|April||4/1/2021 – 4/30/2021||4/20/2021||4/30/2021|
|May||5/1/2021 – 5/31/2021||5/18/2021||6/1/2021|
|June||6/1/2021 – 6/30/2021||6/15/2021||6/30/2021|
Please note, payroll reduction may be delayed due to the timing of the payroll process and employee reporting of furlough. Any furlough not submitted by the above deadline will be approved and processed with the following payroll.
Furlough Reminders – Group 3 (Monthly):
- One day of furlough can be reported per week (one day for full-time staff is 8 hours; pro-rated by FTE).
- Furlough is reported through the bi-weekly timesheet using the FURLMtime and absence code.
- During the week in which furlough is reported, regular hours must also be reported using the FUREGcode.
- Full-time employees must report furlough in 4 or 8-hour increments.
- Furlough must be reported in 1-hour increments (part-time employees).
- Actual hours worked, paid leave time, and furlough time added together cannot exceed 40 hours during any week in which furlough is taken.
- Furlough days should be scheduled using the same scheduling and approval process used when taking vacation leave.
- Employees may not use vacation leave, banked leave, sick leave or personal holiday leave on a furlough day to offset the unpaid leave.
Timesheet Examples for Group 3 Monthly
*Examples are based off of a full-time employee (40 hours per week) schedule
Example 1: Employee worked their regular schedule Monday – Thursday + a half-day of work and half-day of furlough on Friday.
Note, when reporting a half-day of furlough, click the button on the left-hand side to add another row for that day.
Example 2: Employee worked their regular schedule Monday – Wednesday, reported a full furlough day for Thursday and Vacation on Friday.
- Tip Sheet: Entering Furlough Leave (Monthly Paid Employees)
- Furlough FAQ
- UW – Madison Furlough Information Page
- Furlough Calculator
- UW – Madison Furlough Policy
- Furlough Chart
If you have any questions regarding furlough, please contact Waisman Human Resources at email@example.com.