Laura Birkeland, MS, CGC
Laura Birkeland, MS, CGC, is a certified genetic counselor in the Biochemical Genetics Clinic. She provides support, care coordination and genetic counseling for individuals and families with or suspected of having inherited diseases. Birkland is also a prenatal genetic counselor and provides administrative and teaching support to the Genetic Counselor Training Program at UW-Madison.
Professional Certifications and Education
- American Board of Genetic Counseling
- MS, Medical Genetics, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- MCH LEND Training Certificate, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- BA, Biology, Spanish minor, Gustavus Adolphus College
- Khurshid N, Trampe B, Heiser T, Birkeland L, Duris E, Stewart K, Shah D, Iruretagoyena JI. (2014). Impact of an amniocentesis simulation curriculum for training in MFM fellowship program. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2014 Jan; 210(1): S212-S213.
- Iruretagoyena JI, Bankowski H, Heiser T, Birkeland L, Grady M, Shah D. (2010). Outcomes for fetal echogenic bowel during the second trimester. Journal of Maternal-Fetal & Neonatal Medicine. 23(11):1271-3.