The Waisman Center Clinics provide comprehensive clinical care and support for children with developmental disabilities and their families. The Waisman Center Autism and Developmental Disabilities Clinic is a partnership with UW Health and the American Family Children’s Hospital. The Autism and Developmental Disabilities Clinic is an interdisciplinary clinic that provides diagnosis and clinical care for children with or at risk for a developmental disability including: autism spectrum disorders (ASD), intellectual disability, fragile X, and genetic disorders associated with developmental delay.
Our evaluation services may include appointments with individual clinicians or a team of clinicians from the following professional disciplines: developmental pediatrics, psychology, speech-language pathology, occupational therapy, psychiatry, audiology, nutrition, nursing, and social work. Evidenced-based assessment tools are standard in our clinical care including use of the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule for individuals suspected of having an autism spectrum disorder. Additional cognitive, language, behavioral, and adaptive behavior testing is included as needed. Results are shared with families and recommendations are generated for medical, educational and behavioral intervention.
If your child has a developmental disability or your doctor suspects so, call the Waisman Center Clinics at 608.263.3301. Please indicate that you would like to arrange for an appointment in the Autism and Developmental Disabilities Clinic. A referral from your child’s physician is required.
Although we provide a range of services, we may not provide the services you are looking for. If so, you will be contacted by one of our social workers with other referral options. While we are eager to help you and your family, the length of our wait time varies. You may want to contact your primary care physician or school about evaluation alternatives.
YOUR CLINIC VISIT
- All clinic visitors should park in stalls outlined in blue and give their license plate number to the schedulers upon check-in. (See map and directions below.)
- Our clinic is located on the first floor of the Waisman Center, 1500 Highland Avenue.
- Plan to arrive 5 to 10 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment. Check in at the clinic reception desk located just beyond the Waisman Center’s main lobby.
- A medical assistant may obtain your child’s height, weight, pulse and blood pressure. You and your child will be taken to an examination room.
- A clinician will obtain a thorough health history, discuss the evaluation and answer any questions. Visits with a developmental pediatrician may include a physical exam.
- Your child will likely participate in evaluations including informal and standardized testing of behavior, cognition, language, and motor skills.
- A family conference may be scheduled the same day or at a future appointment to provide integrated interdisciplinary recommendations at the conclusion of the diagnostic process.
- The clinics are a nut-free zone.
NOTE: Full visit information will be shared in writing with you and your child’s primary health care provider, subspecialists, and others as indicated by signed release of information forms
GOALS OF THE CLINIC TEAM
- Provide diagnosis and medical treatment for patients with autism spectrum disorders and developmental disabilities, including genetic conditions affecting neurodevelopment.
- Provide support, recommendations, and resources for patients and families experiencing ongoing challenges associated with a developmental disability.
- Support families as they work to improve their child’s feeding.
- Provide comprehensive care, evidence-based treatment, links to research opportunities and support to children with Fragile X syndrome.
Family Navigator, Waisman Resource Center
Certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
Psychology Postdoctoral Fellow
Maps, Directions, and Parking for Clinic Visitors
From the west—follow University Avenue and turn left at the University Bay Drive/Farley Avenue intersection. After making the turn (from either direction)... Continue straight over the hill; the road at that point becomes Highland Avenue. The Waisman Center is at the bottom of the hill on the left, across the street from UW-Children's Hospital.
PARKING: All clinic visitors should park in stalls outlined in blue and give their license plate number to the schedulers upon check-in.
ENTRANCE: Enter building in north tower at main clinics/lobby doors. Turn right and walk through lobby to clinics registration desk.