The Waisman Center Clinics provide comprehensive clinical care and support for children with disabilities and their families. The Waisman Center Medical Genetics Clinic is a partnership with UW Health and the American Family Children’s Hospital. The Medical Genetics Clinic is an interdisciplinary clinic for people of all ages who have suspected or known hereditary conditions, malformation syndromes or birth defects. Medical geneticists and genetic counselors provide initial diagnostic/confirmatory services, care coordination, and counseling and referral.
YOUR CLINIC VISIT
If you are interested in an appointment, please have your/your child’s primary care provider fill out a referral at uwhealth.org/referral. We will call you to schedule an appointment once we have processed the referral.
- All clinic visitors should park in stalls outlined in blue and give their license plate number to the schedulers upon check-in. (See map and directions below.)
- Our clinic is located on the first floor of the Waisman Center, 1500 Highland Avenue.
- Plan to arrive 5 to 10 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment. Check in at the clinic reception desk located just beyond the Waisman Center’s main lobby.
- A medical assistant may obtain your child’s height, weight, pulse and blood pressure. You and your child will be taken to an examination room.
- A medical geneticist or genetic counselor will obtain a thorough health and family history. You or your child will be thoroughly examined and staff will discuss the evaluation and answer any questions you may have.
- Other professionals may also provide evaluations and/or consultations as needed.
- Necessary laboratory evaluations will be discussed and coordinated.
- The clinics are a nut-free zone.
NOTE: Full visit information will be shared in writing with you and your child’s primary health care provider, subspecialists, and others as indicated by signed release of information forms.
GOALS OF THE CLINIC TEAM
- Provide comprehensive, state-of-the-art diagnostic services and medical management and genetic counseling
- Educate patients and families about their disorders, associated complications and the genetic causes and their implications.
- Provide health care counseling about potential risks and preventive behaviors.
- Refer and collaboration with other health professionals to meet your child’s special needs.
- Provide information on community resources and services to support your child and family.
- Support and advocate for the patient and family.
Medical Genetics Fellow
Maps, Directions, and Parking for Clinic Visitors
From the west—follow University Avenue and turn left at the University Bay Drive/Farley Avenue intersection. After making the turn (from either direction)... Continue straight over the hill; the road at that point becomes Highland Avenue. The Waisman Center is at the bottom of the hill on the left, across the street from UW-Children's Hospital.
PARKING: All clinic visitors should park in stalls outlined in blue and give their license plate number to the schedulers upon check-in.
ENTRANCE: Enter building in north tower at main clinics/lobby doors. Turn right and walk through lobby to clinics registration desk.